Thursday, November 11, 2010
Surgery Update
The anesthesiologist called Stella a "silly drunk" after she was sedated. This is a video of James messing with Stella before surgery.
Okay, this is what we know:
Stella's adenoids were fine, but that doesn't explain the snoring/open mouth breathing. Her ears were really dirty, and the doctor had to clean them before he put her tubes in. The doctor recommended that we put Stella back on Prevacid (instead of Zantac) because he thinks that the problems with her ears might be from GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.) He also recommended that we move forward with allergy testing. If we don't get her ear problems under control, it could cause permanent damage. If we don't get the snoring/open mouth breathing under control, Stella could end up needing reconstructive surgery on her nose and face because it is causing facial abnormalities. Stella was not as violent when she woke up from the anesthesia, but she was very unhappy.
Emerson had a difficult time coming out of the anesthesia, but she did fine otherwise. This was her first surgery (Stella's third.) Emerson's ears were also in rough shape and needed to be cleaned out before they could put her tubes in. Emerson doesn't have a problem with GERD or open mouth breathing, so the doctor recommended that we proceed with the allergy testing for Emerson. Our follow up appointment is in 4 weeks, and we will have their hearing tested again then.
James and I both had a really busy week, and we are so happy that this surgery is behind us. I had presentations in both of my classes on Wednesday night, and I survived! James also found out that his portfolio "passed" so it looks like he will be finishing up his Masters in December. Varsity basketball practice also started this week, and James had to keep the girls with him at practice while I was at class on Wednesday! He said that trying to coach with Stella on his hip was fun!
I was so busy trying to get through this week that I completely forgot that we are celebrating Thanksgiving with my family this weekend! Uncle Al, Aunt Cindy, and Michelle are all coming up from Alabama, and Eric, Brandi, and Ruthi will all be here from Colorado! It is going to be a fantastic weekend. We all have so much to be thankful for!
Finally, I want to thank everyone for the prayers and thoughts this week.